Tuesday, January 10, 2012

White Bean Chili

This morning I woke up and my face was frozen! Remember all those wonderful times of camping and you wake up and half your face thats sticking out of the sleeping bag is so cold but everything else is warm and toasty. Well, that is how it felt this morning, only I was inside. So as we can imagine the weather is like on this beautiful January day, all I felt like was warm yummy food.

I decided to make chili and cornbread and found this delicious recipe. At first I was very skeptical at the refried beans in the sauce but it was a great thickener! Who would have thought! I used my buttermilk cornbread recipe only I used white flour instead of wheat and added a little less milk. And sadly I didn't have enough great northern beans so I ended up doing 1 can of black to replace and it was delicious. Part of me likes having more variety in my beans anyway. 

White Bean Chili

Source: http://burnmenot.blogspot.com/2011/01/white-bean-chili.html
Makes: 8 servings (feeds about 5?)

1 (12 oz) package reduced fat sausage
1 lb ground turkey
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 (1.25 oz) package taco seasoning mix (1 used half original and half mild - not too spicy)
2 (15.8 oz) cans great northern beans (undrained) 
1 (14 oz) can low sodium chicken broth
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chiles
1 (16 oz) can green chile and lime refried beans

Preheat large saucepan on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add sausage and ground turkey. Let cook a little and drain some of the fat with a spoon. Then add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook total of 10-12 minutes or until meat is browned and no pink remains; stir frequently and break meat up as it cooks. Stir in taco seasoning; cover and cook for 1 minute.

In a large stock pot, combine beans (including liquids), chicken broth, green chiles, and refried beans over medium-high heat. Stir in meat mixture; cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Serve.

No comments: