Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Guacamole and Chips

Mmmm.. avocados... after church today I decided to make guacamole! So I decided to try Alton brown's recipe.. it was amazing!


Guacamole
Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/guacamole-recipe/index.html

3 avocados halved, seeded and peeled
1 lime, juiced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 clove garlic, minced
  1. In a large bowl place the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice, toss to coat. (I used much less lime juice then they asked, but I thought it was good and I didn't need to drain it or add it later - I just used a few drops.)
  2. Drain, and reserve the lime juice, after all of the avocados have been coated. 
  3. Using a potato masher add the salt, cumin, and cayenne and mash. 
  4. Then, fold in the onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic. 
  5. Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved lime juice. 
  6. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour and then serve. (I ate it right away - it was delicious)
So I talked with my roommies about this lovely dish and one said that they thought it was a 9.9/10 out of the guacamole's she's tried. It was really good. We were critiquing it and decided it was delicious because of the slight chunkiness of the avocado with the creaminess, the cool freshness of the tomatoes, the spices added really good flavor - it was a little spicy but not too much.

But I should warn you that I did cut this recipe by a third. So it was hard to get a 1/6 of a teaspoon.. so my measurements may have been a little less than it was asked for.

not only did I make guacamole but I also made chips! Only.. the tortillas I had were thick.. so when I cooked them they were a little hard. But they were pleasant. The ones I cooked longer were better because they were more crispy they were a hard first crunch but they weren't chewy at the same time.

Corn Tortilla Chips
Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/baked-tortilla-chips-recipe/index.html

Corn tortillas
Olive oil
salt
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
  2. Brush both sides of the tortillas with oil
  3. Stack the tortillas and cut them into 1/6s or 1/4s.
  4. Place on cookie sheet in one layer, sprinkle with salt and bake for 15-18 minutes till golden brown and crispy. 




No comments: