Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Stir Fry

So tonight I decided to make stir fry for dinner. If I had to eat one thing for the rest of my life.. stir fry would be it. This one turned out delicious. My roommate helped in this one though. I was making it and then she suggested to use this sauce that she likes. It was awesome. So I dumped it in! :) I enjoyed this recipe because it had so many different things in the stir fry. The only extravagant ingredient was the almonds which could be easily omitted - it was fun to have an extra crunch though. Adding cabbage is nice. I feel like it gives the meal more body - so kind of like a filler. I also served this with rice and as a side I had grapes and mini oranges.

Stir Fry
Source: adapted from Hailey and Bill at primal palate (http://www.primal-palate.com/2011/01/chicken-and-vegetable-lo-mein.html)
Serves: 4

1 lb Chicken  cut into bite size pieces
1/4 cup almonds, chopped
1/2 cup water chestnuts
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
1/2 of a red pepper, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1 tablespoon minced Ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cups broccoli
2 cups shredded cabbage (about half the head)
Toasted sesame oil
Mr. Yoshidas Marinade and cooking sauce - original gourmet, sweet and savory
Sesame seeds to garnish (optional)
  1. Prepare the meat and vegetables by cutting them into bite sized pieces.
  2. Chop almonds, green onion, celery; mince garlic and ginger.
  3. Heat pan over high heat and add sesame oil and swirl so it coats the bottom.
  4.  Add meat and cook for 3-5 minutes until mostly cooked.
  5. Add in broccoli, water chestnuts, celery and pepper; cook for 2 minutes
  6. Add in almonds, cabbage, ginger, green onion and garlic. Add a splash of Mr. Yoshidas (2-4 tbsp or more if you want more sauce. just till it looks yummy). Cook 2-3 minutes, until cabbage softens a little.
  7. Remove from heat add sesame seeds if you wish and partake :)

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

I love this!! stir fry is the best! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious! I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Stephanie said...

Your welcome! And the best part of stir fry is mixing and matching. Trying new things, taking out, putting in, it is perfect for never quite having the same meal twice!